Their office is located in the Warren and Reba Lummis Genealogical and Historical Library, at 981 Ye Greate Street in Greenwich. The Society is very active in promoting knowledge concerning the history of Cumberland County and was founded in 1905, at the same time plans were being made to erect a monument to commemorate the Tea Burning in Greenwich. Originally the Society Headquarters was located on the top floor of the Cumberland County Court Housem but in 1947, the Wood family of Philadelphia leased the Wood Mansion in Greenwich to the Society for its Headquarters. Its artifacts and accumulated records were moved to Greenwich. In June 1969 the Society acquired the Gibbon House and its barn on Ye Greate Street. Several years later a Swedish log farm building (circa 1650) was moved to this site. A Maritime Museum has been established in the former Lecture Room which was built by the congregation of the Greenwich Presbyterian Church in 1852 and presently displays artifacts relating to the waterways of the area. Following the purchase of the former Greenwich branch bank in 1993, the voluminous collection of genealogical material, rare books, deeds and maps previously displayed in the Pirate House were transferred to this commodious building which is now known as the Warren Lummis Genealogical & Research Library. The Cumberland County Liberty Bell is exhibited by the Society in the Court House lobby, and the Society also serves as administrator for Potter’s Tavern in Bridgeton and for the Old Stone Church in Fairfield. Each year, an Annual Craft fair is held on the grounds of the Gibbon House.
960 Ye Greate St, Greenwich, NJ 08323. 856-455-4055. www.cchistsoc.org