[vc_row][vc_column][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner width=”3/4″][mk_fancy_title margin_bottom=”0″ font_family=”none”]

Old Stone Schoolhouse

[/mk_fancy_title][vc_column_text]In 1725 a farmer along Ye Greate Street in Greenwich named Zachariah Barrow died and in his will left his land “for the benefit of a free school for the Township of Greenwich forever.” The land in question ran along the east side of Ye Greate Street. In 1749, the land was surveyed and sold to David Sheppard to be farmed, but the deed included the payment of a yearly rent of thirteen Pounds, for the use of a free school on ground set aside for that purpose.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=”1/4″][mk_image src=”https://explorecumberlandnj.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/stoneschool.jpg” image_size=”full”][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner width=”3/4″][mk_fancy_title margin_bottom=”0″ font_family=”none”]

Swedish Granary

[/mk_fancy_title][vc_column_text]In the rear yard of the Cumberland County Historical Society’s headquarters in Greenwich, New Jersey stands what is most likely the sole surviving 17th century Swedish granary in America. Built sometime in the mid seventeenth century, it was moved to its current location in 1975 from its original construction site about four miles east of Greenwich in the Dutch Neck area of Hopewell Township.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=”1/4″][mk_image src=”https://explorecumberlandnj.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/slide04.jpg” image_size=”full”][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner width=”3/4″][mk_fancy_title margin_bottom=”0″ font_family=”none”]

Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church

[/mk_fancy_title][vc_column_text]Springtown, one of the oldest black settlements in Cumberland County, is located about a mile from the colonial village of Greenwich. The Springtown Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church was built between 1838 and 1841, and marked a growing community.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=”1/4″][mk_image src=”https://explorecumberlandnj.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/BethelAMEChurch-Springtown.jpg” image_size=”full”][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner width=”3/4″][mk_fancy_title margin_bottom=”0″ font_family=”none”]

Nicholas Gibbon House

[/mk_fancy_title][vc_column_text]In 1677 Edmund Gibbon, an English merchant living in New York, was paid an owed debt by two brothers, Edward and Thomas Duke. The payment consisted of 6,000 acres of land in West Jersey. While today we often refer to New Jersey as either South Jersey or North Jersey, from 1674 until 1702 when New Jersey becomes an official royal colony, the region consisted of two distinct divisions known as East Jersey and West Jersey. The land paid to Edmund Gibbon included what is today Roadstown and other parts of Stow Creek Township and much of Greenwich, including what is today Pine Mount and the Head of Greenwich, but which back then was named “Mount Gibbon.” This land passed down in the Gibbon family until in 1728 brothers Nicholas and Leonard Gibbon inherited it with the stipulation that they leave England and settle on the property in West Jersey.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=”1/4″][mk_image src=”https://explorecumberlandnj.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/GibbonHouse.jpg” image_size=”full”][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][/vc_column][/vc_row]